MPs & others
25-6-05

        The National Party, and ACT, have again tried on some advocacy that
nuclear-propelled vessels be allowed into New Zealand's territorial waters.
Several cheap old lies about fission reactors are again being rolled out.
Those who want some facts on marine reactors will find the attached useful.
         And a n-power station salesman has been touting on the HolmesŪ
show, with no attempt at balance.

        The n-propelled surface ships e.g cruiser Long Beach and "frigate"
Truxtun are now decommissioned.  Nuclear-propelled merchantmen being a
long-gone flop, and Russian nuclear-propelled icebreakers being undesirable
for various reasons, which n-vessels could possibly be invited by a future
NZ govt?
        One peculiar aspect of the current revival of this settled issue is
that it has just been made known that nuclear-propelled USN hunter-killer
('attack') submarines are no longer to visit foreign ports, which leaves
few if any prospective nuclear visitors.  Many y ago the USN
strategic-missile submarines ('boomers') ceased to visit foreign ports such
as Rota, Spain which they had used.  Of interest is the level at which the
new policy on the hunter-killers became known: the no. 2 man in the USA
embassy in Wellington.

         Let us leave behind for ever this tiresome stupid idea of
n-vessels in our harbours, or anywhere in our jurisdiction.  No vessel
offering us any good is n-powered.
        The late hevi-doodi protester Owen Wilkes went over to the other
side around the time of the Polittee.  Some of my responses to his change
are in the attachment.