Need some help.  I have been studying Gray Jays at Moose Bog and Victory
for some 13 years. My last three trips to Victory Bog have resulted in
the sighting of a single juvenile and one adult.    I am beginning to
wonder if West Nile Virus has arrived in my study area. I have been
working these birds for some time and know where the family groups
should be.  I should be seeing many more GJs and young at this time of
year.  A trip to Moose Bog and Molly Beattie Bog yesterday failed to
find any GJ. In October of last year, I found 7 birds, banding 6.    If
any VT birders have been to any of these locations recently, I would
appreciate an email offline about whether you saw any Gray Jays. Even
Blue Jay and Raven, while present,  seem to be down in numbers at these
sites.  I do not know the differences between species but mortality to
WNV in Family Corvidae isreportedly as high as 94-98%.

Secondly, I would appreciate hearing about sightings of Gray Jays in
Vermont within the past 10 years. I would appreciate specific locations
rather than a general site if you are willing to do so.   I am trying to
identify habitats they are presently located in.  A student of mine and
I are trying to collect information about gene flow between sites this
summer.  If WNV does show up, I will want to begin a monitoring program
of these sites.

William Barnard
Biology Dept.
Norwich Univ.