Date:    Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:06:47 -0400
From:    "Lawrence, Miriam" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: black-billed cuckoo -- want to confirm

I'm rather certain that I heard a black-billed cuckoo calling from the
treeline bordering our field late yesterday afternoon. However, I have never
heard one before.

My only lack of certainty comes from the fact that the call examples on both
my Peterson's CD and eNature.com have 4-5 repeated notes and sound just
slightly metallic, whereas the call I heard was "cu-cu-cu," three notes, all
on the same pitch, and a bit mellower, repeated over and over again.  The
eNature site says the voice can be 2-5 notes, and the sound was otherwise
quite similar, so I'm assuming I'm making the right call here.

Is there any other bird this could possibly have been?

Thanks,

Miriam Lawrence