Jim:

“Not more than two” seems to say that you need to elect at the very least “two” .  To the best of my knowledge there are no four member boards.  In the past when a Selectman resigns or leaves a position open, the Board can choose to either appoint or elect another member for a one-year term.

KAREN

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Barlow
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Four Member Selectboards?

Hello everyone,

Sorry to trouble you all, but I have a quick, two part question:

The law requires that every town must have three selectboard members, but a town may choose to elect "not more than two additional selectmen for terms of either one or two years each."  24 V.S.A. 2651(b).  The language "not more than two" implies that a town could chose to have just one additional selectboard member, which would, of course, result in a four member board.

My question is this: Has any town actually chosen to elect just one additional selectboard member?  Are there any four member selectboards out there?

Many thanks.

Jim Barlow

Staff Attorney

Vermont League of Cities and Towns