3 members in Newbury.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Barlow
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:27 PM
  Subject: Four Member Selectboards?

  Hello everyone,

  Sorry to trouble you all, but I have a quick, two part question:

  The law requires that every town must have three selectboard members, but a town may choose to elect "not more than two additional selectmen for terms of either one or two years each."  24 V.S.A. 2651(b).  The language "not more than two" implies that a town could chose to have just one additional selectboard member, which would, of course, result in a four member board.

  My question is this: Has any town actually chosen to elect just one additional selectboard member?  Are there any four member selectboards out there?

  Many thanks.

  Jim Barlow
  Staff Attorney
  Vermont League of Cities and Towns