  From: Jim Barlow
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 4:42 PM
  Subject: More Odd Questions

  Hello Everyone:

  I have a few more odd questions to pose.  Please be kind.

  24 V.S.A. 871 requires the selectboard to appoint one or more weigher of coal and one or more inspectors of lumber shingles, and wood.  We all know that these offices are relics of a time long passed, but I'm trying to ascertain whether towns still, in fact, make these appointments.

  Do any towns out there appoint a weigher of coal and/or an inspector of lumber, shingles, and wood?

  Has any town had any occasion, in recent memory, to call upon either of these officers?

  Thank you.

  Jim Barlow
  Staff Attorney
  Vermont League of Cities and Towns