Hi, Bill (and the list),

South Burlington is interested in using ILN over IP.  We, too, have concerns about bandwidth and in-house infrastructure needs.

Steve

        Hello everyone -

        You may know that the Department of Education has been working to restore the ILN system to some level of functionality in the next school year using Internet Protocol (IP), but without ATM. We are interested in and will be working toward a more permanent solution in order to maintain a statewide videoconferencing network to support schools. The Department has been successful in securing significant bandwidth to support the system and has funding to hire a management team to provide technical support at both the state and local levels,  programmatic support, and to provide advice in configuring the polycom and your local gateway to the Internet for ILN use. There will be no additional cost to the school district for any of the above services or for use of the system, but..... NOTE that SOME local systems may need to be upgraded/increase bandwidth in order to connect well enough with the ILN bridge. The costs of such upgrades or bandwidth improvements must be absorbed!
  by the local district.

        Virtually all of the equipment currently in place will still be usable in the new system, although some modification of the existing routers may be required.

        The biggest question for local educators is whether there is adequate existing local bandwidth to support simultaneous use of ILN along with Internet use on the part of staff and students.

        So this question is for Technology Coordinator-types: Will you revive ILN at your local level if it is made available to you as described above? Please let me know so we can get a general reading of the level of interest.

        Many thanks -

        Bill Romond, Vermont Department of Education

Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If this email contains