--- Carmelo Ruiz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005
> Subject: Molcular pharming, chloroplast
> Transformation

> http://www.i-sis.org.uk/MPTNB.php
>
> Molecular Pharming – the New Battlefront over GM
> Crops
>
> The biggest battle for democracy in the ‘heartland
> of
> democracy’ is being fought over GM crops and it has
> shifted to molecular pharming. Dr. Mae-Wan Ho
>
> The battlefront over GM crops in the United States
> and
> Europe has shifted to molecular pharming, the use of
> GM crops to produce pharmaceuticals.
> California-based
> company Ventria Bioscience has been at the forefront
> of pharm crops development, and has planted 75 acres
> of genetically engineered rice near Plymouth in
> Eastern North Carolina [1].
>
> Ventria made applications to grow GM rice producing
> human lactoferrin and lysozyme, normally produced in
> human milk, saliva and tears, in California,
> Missouri
> and North Carolina, stirring up a storm of
> opposition.
> Ventria was driven out of California last year [2],
> and forced out of southeast Missouri earlier this
> year
> by a last minute uprising from rice farmers who
> feared
> contamination of their crops and damage to a $100
> million industry that depends heavily on exports
> [3].
>
> The USDA was under pressure to turn down Ventria’s
> request and others like it. The Grocery
> Manufacturers
> of America, representing $500 billion in annual
> sales,
> says that the government lacks a way to prevent
> pharmaceutical proteins from contaminating food.
> Advocacy groups presented Agriculture Secretary Mike
> Johanns with 30 000 signatures asking for a ban on
> the
> use of food crops to produce pharmaceuticals.
> Northwest Missouri State University President Dean
> Hubbard insists, however, that his institution is
> going ahead with a $40 million agricultural
> pharmaceutical centre that would house Ventria and
> other companies.
>
> On 30 June, the USDA approved Ventria application to
> grow its GM rice on 270 acres in North Carolina [3],
> despite opposition from scientists working at the
> state and federally-operated Rice Quarantine Nursery
> at the Tidewater Research Station, just over half a
> mile from the Ventria test site. USDA also cleared
> the
> way for Ventria to grow its pharm rice on 200 acres
> in
> the middle of Missouri’s chief rice-growing region,
> even though Ventria has already withdrawn its permit
> applications for that site. Anheuser-Busch, the
> nation’s largest brewer, had indicated it would
> refuse
> to buy any rice from southeastern Missouri’s
> hundreds
> [...]

Activism enriches our lives in multiple ways. It brings us into personal contact with other people who are informed, passionate and altruistic in their commitment to help make the world a better place. These are good friends to have, and often they are better sources of information than the experts whose names appear in the newspapers. Activism, in our opinion, is a path to enlightenment.

- Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber
(from "Trust Us, We're Experts: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with your Future")

http://carmeloruiz.blogspot.com