While walking along the edge of our field around 6:30 yesterday evening, a
large tan stone in the grass caught my eye.  When I looked more closely, I
saw the long bill, huge eyes, and gorgeous black patterning.  The poor
woodcock was terrified to be in full view of a two-legged predator, and I
was a bit nervous myself because my German Shepherds were with me and only a
few feet away, but luckily they didn't notice the bird -- until it suddenly
bolted for the air in a flurry of wings and that high-pitched sound you
usually only hear when they're doing their evening display.

It was a stunning view from about 5 feet away in broad daylight -- not
something you get to see every day!

Miriam Lawrence
Monkton