Idly watching my feeder when a small flock of Grackles
flew in noisily.  An unusual occurence as we are in
the deep woods.  However, one bird caught my attention
- I thought it had something stuck in it's beak.  Got
the binos and saw that the upper mandible was curved
upwards and it couldn't close it's beak.  Didn't stop
it shovelling in the sunflower seeds tho! Actually
could eat them faster than it's normal relatives.
Later preening in the lilac, I noticed one wing also
drooped.  Seemed to fly okay, but I expect it won't
last the winter.

The Bluebirds, nesting in the box on top of the dead
Tree Swallow hatchlings, all fledged!

Shelagh Smith in Leicester, where we are having a
short respite from the Aedes Vexans and deerflies.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs