On 7/11/05, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Evan can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that *was* an
> editorial, which inherently are not objective.  Mind you, this is a
> Pullitzer prize-winning editorial page, as I am sure you are aware.
> You may or may not be aware that in journalism circles the Pullitzer
> is NOT considered a POS award.
>
> Now, the Freeps editorial page is a POS, as shown by their comparison
> of windmills on ridgelines to the ill-fated Green Mountain Scenic
> Highway.
>
> On another note.  Yes, well said Mr. Devine.  Thank you for your, er,
> objective view of the affair.  I can't remember and, if you do, in the
> interest of full disclosure, are you one of the oppressed multitude
> being fined by the State of Vermont for owning a secondary home?

I might even consider your argument more seriously if you could spell
"Pulitzer" correctly.

A paper in Missoula, MT (for example), could have won that award if
the same set of issues were being debated in the Montana legislature.
In other words, the Herald had the good fortune of location and
timing, since the competition state-wide, realistically, consisted
only of the BFP.

As for what I meant about the editorials, you missed my point.  Awards
or not, the paper long ago gave up reporting the facts of local issues
in an objective manner.  Nowhere in the Rutland Herald is it possible
to find a rational financial analysis of the issue - which it
deserves.

They're too busy, in their editorials, of repeatedly promoting their agenda.