Skip - I certainly understand tax rates. Here in Vermont it is per $100 of assessed value.  Because of act 60/68 all towns have access to all wealth in the state for educational purposes.  Prior to the reforms there were pockets of sheltered wealth in the state and many took advantage.  It is understandable that these people were upset when ALL taxpayers became responsible for ALL education in VT.  When their tax rate is higher than mine for the same per pupil spending I will be happy to join their protest.   Until then I have little sympathy.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Skip King
Sent: Mon, July 11, 2005 5:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Kmart and Act 60 (was(Non-Utah Liquor Laws)

At 04:30 PM 7/11/2005, you wrote:
>So we should make the total bill for a million dollar mansion the same as
>for a doublewide?  I think keeping the rates the same is more equal.

Chris - do yourself a favor and go take an Econ 101 class.  No one is
saying that the total tax bill for a McMansion should be the same as it is
for a doublewide.  That would be silly.  The argument is that tax RATES -
the amount of tax per $1000 of assessed valuation - shouldn't be punitive
in towns that have more high-value homes, merely because they have more
high value homes.

Let's take your example, assuming that the doublewide in question and the
property it sits on is worth $75,000.  If the tax rate per $1000 of
assessed valuation is $10, that means this guy's annual taxes are 75 X 10
or $750.  The guy with the fancy crib, subject to the same $10 per $1000,
would pay 1000 X 10 or $10,000 per year in property taxes.  No one's got a
problem with that.  With me so far?

The issue is that Vermont actually taxes differently than that.