From: "Not In Our Name Statement of Conscience" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue Aug 16, 2005  3:07:50 PM US/Pacific
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: International Commission of Inquiry on Crimes Against Humanity
Committed by the Bush Administration

Dear friends and signers of the NION statements,

We are very excited to announce that we will be sponsoring an
International Commission of Inquiry on Crimes Against Humanity
Committed by the Bush Administration.

As the charter for the commission states, "When the possibility of
far-reaching war crimes and crimes against humanity exists, people of
conscience have a solemn responsibility to inquire into the nature and
scope of these acts and to determine if they do in fact rise to the
level of war crimes and crimes against humanity." (see
http://www.nion.us/Commission/call-charter.htm)

We intend to fulfill that responsibility with your help.

The commission will meet in New York in October and will consider
evidence on four specific issues:
     1) Wars of Aggression, with particular reference to the invasions
and occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.
     2) Torture and Indefinite Detention, with particular reference to
the abandonment of international standards concerning the treatment of
prisoners of war and the use of torture.
     3) Destruction of the Global Environment, with particular reference
to systematic policies contributing to the catastrophic effects of
global warming.
     4) Attacks on Global Public Health and Reproductive Rights, with
particular reference to the genocidal effects of forcing international
agencies to promote "abstinence only" in the midst of a global AIDS
epidemic.

The commission's impact will flow from its rigor in the presentation of
evidence, and the stature of its participants. Our goal is to continue
to build the impact of the Not In Our Name statements and the World
Tribunal on Iraq by holding a court of inquiry that will both frame and
fuel a discussion that is urgently needed in this country: Is the
administration of George W. Bush guilty of war crimes and crimes
against humanity?

With your help we intend to prove it before a panel of distinguished
legal experts and voices of conscience. We are currently pulling
together attorneys and well-known experts in the various fields to draw
up indictments. The proceedings will be streamed live on the internet
and will be available to the entire world.

We need to make a down payment on a major venue this week if this is to
happen on the scale that is demanded. We urge you to go to our web site
an make a generous contribution to make this happen
(http://www.nion.us/NSOC/sign.htm). We are suggesting a minimum
contribution of $100 because the costs are enormous, but all
contributions are welcome and deeply appreciated.

As we say in the second Not In Our Name statement: "No election,
whether fair or fraudulent, can legitimize criminal wars on foreign
countries, torture, the wholesale violation of human rights, and the
end of science and reason." Let us now act to make good on our
commitment.

Thanking you for your continuing support,

Tony Alessandrini
Brian Drolet
Larry Everest
Clark Kissinger
Barbara Olshansky
Emna Zghal

The commission working group
(you may contact us at [log in to unmask])