You gotta get up and out pretty early to beat Sweet Nectar Hemeon to a
first state record. So, alas, another one eludes me. Perhaps I get some
meager credit for giving Kevin the incentive: I told him I'd be down there
promptly if he didn't find it today.

Congratulations! (Looks as if I'll have to stick to finding new Vermont
dragonflies.)

Regards,
-Bryan Pfeiffer (unfortunately no relation to Martha)

At 8/25/2005, you wrote:
>This has been a busy summer and consequently I have not been out since mid
>July. Kent's info on Checkered Skippers gave me incentive but I had made
>commitments and tomorrow morning I am leaving for 10 days. I worked hard
>got to jobs early but still didn't finish til 3:30 in Greenbush, an hour
>plus away from Vt. I decided why not. I got to a favorite area of mine in
>North Pownal 6. After checking numerous fields I was giving up, it was
>past 6. The only skippers I'd seen were Pecks and Least and maybe a
>Tawny-edged. I looked back over the field one last time and saw something
>different. It looked almost gray in the distance and flew like a
>Duskywing. I got close enough to see it when it landed briefly and sure
>enough it was a Checkered. Then it flew... and flew... and flew. I chased
>it around this field 4 or 5 times losing it in the poor light and growing
>shadows. I lost it one more time and couldn't relocate it.
>Muttering,  "they'll never believe this" I headed for the truck again,
>when I saw it. It fluttered about briefly and landed on a red clover.
>Trying desperately to keep my shadow off it I got close enough for a swing
>and got the voucher. I couldn't have done it with my old net. Kevin

The Vermont Butterfly Survey
A Project of the Vermont Institute of Natural Science

27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091
(802) 454-4640

www.vinsweb.org/vbs