I am listing this link for Vince... I know how you will enjoy it; borrow it to you son's MP3 player and listen to it on the river this fall.  It is just long enough that you can spend the better part of that fishing trip in silence thinking up a good perspective to share.

Bill Gates on High Schools
http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/w/b/wbur/onpoint/2005/03/op_0301b.rm?start=43:19 <http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/w/b/wbur/onpoint/2005/03/op_0301b.rm?start=43:19>

By the way, I am looking for educational examples of how people might be using some of the map tools that are popping up to go along with Google Maps API release....
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/ <http://www.google.com/apis/maps/>

e.g. Our 6th grade is studying the earth and one learning topic is earthquakes.  They enjoyed using http://www.speakeasy.org/~endico/maps/usgs.html to locate and examine earthquake data in regions assigned to groups in a class... students were able to use this site to present information about the number of and largest magnitude earthquake in their region.  I thought they might also use http://www.acme.com/areometer/ to roughly compute the area of damage caused by different quakes.

Another class studying Astronomy topics used http://geology.com/meteor-impact-craters.shtml to examine meteor impacts (very cool in both satelite and map views) and I thought they could also use the areometer to estimate the damage areas.

Some ideas and tools have found:
http://csapscores.org/index.html <http://csapscores.org/index.html>
(One for VT DOE)
http://www.googleaprs.com/ <http://www.googleaprs.com/>
(Vince; we have installed a radio-transmitter in your tacklebox and we know you speed from work to the river)
http://911digitalarchive.org/maps/ground_zero.php
(Views/Comments of Ground Zero at approximately 9:00 AM on September 11, 2001)
http://www.mapbuilder.net/
(Very Nice)
http://www.gmaptrack.com/
(Very Nice)
http://www.placeopedia.com/ <http://www.placeopedia.com/>
(Connecting Wikipedia articles with their location)
http://tim.lauer.name/archives/003201.html <http://tim.lauer.name/archives/003201.html>
(Photos-Maps)
http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/ <http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/>
(gMap Pedometer)
http://www.naffis.com/maphacks/latandlon.html <http://www.naffis.com/maphacks/latandlon.html>
http://geology.com/state-high-points.shtml <http://geology.com/state-high-points.shtml>
(Highest point in all 50 states)
(Latitude & Longitude)
http://www.cyberjournalist.net/news/002626.php <http://www.cyberjournalist.net/news/002626.php>
(some example that could be altered for school projects)
http://moloko.itc.it/trustmetricswiki/moin.cgi/GamesOnGoogleMaps <http://moloko.itc.it/trustmetricswiki/moin.cgi/GamesOnGoogleMaps>
(Games)
http://www.gvisit.com/ <http://www.gvisit.com/>
(Track website visitors)

To learn more about Google Maps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_maps <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_maps>

Other Google Mapping Apps:
Also, Flash Earth
http://www.flashearth.com/ <http://www.flashearth.com/>
and
Google Moon
http://moon.google.com/ <http://moon.google.com/>
Google Earth
http://earth.google.com/ <http://earth.google.com/>

Large List of Existing Custom Maps/Tools
http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com <http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com>