CHRYSALIS
The Occasional Newsletter of the Vermont Butterfly Survey
September 2005
Vol. 4 No. 2

Here's another issue of CHRYSALIS, an irregular
e-mail newsletter about the Vermont Butterfly
Survey. You're getting this because you have
signed on as a VBS volunteer. If you'd rather not
receive this newsletter, please reply to this
e-mail and asked to be removed from the mailing
list. Thanks for joining the survey.

Kent McFarland

Contents:

1. Data Delivery
2. Have You Left VBS?
3. Tracking VBS Volunteer Time Helps with Funding
4. Vermont’s First Common Checkered-skipper Found
5. Web Page Pick – Vermont Entomological Society

1. DATA DELIVERY TIME !
It is that time of year to box your data and mail
it into the VBS office.  The sooner we get it,
the sooner it is in the database. And this year
it is more critical than ever that we get it all
in the database quickly so we can assess our
block coverage and create a game plan for the
last field season in 2006. Thanks to all of you for your hard work!

2. HAVE YOU LEFT VBS?
If you don’t think you’ll be able to do any more
survey work, PLEASE take a few minutes to gather
and return any of your unused voucher cards and
glassine envelopes. We need them back. You can mail them to:

Kent McFarland
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091

Thanks.

3. TRACKING YOUR VBS VOLUNTEER TIME HELPS FUNDING!
The State Wildlife Grants (SWG) program provides
federal dollars to every state to support
conservation aimed at preventing fish and
wildlife populations from declining and avoiding
potential listing under state or federal
Endangered Species Acts. Congress created the
program in 2001. Funds appropriated under the
State Wildlife Grants program are allocated to
the states according to a formula that takes into
account each state's size and population. The
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department is responsible
for the administration of SWG funds in Vermont.

A major portion of VBS funding is through a State
Wildlife Grant. This is federal funding annually
appropriated to each state for non-game wildlife
research and conservation. This grant is a 3:1
matching grant. In other words, we have to
provide one dollar for every three federal
dollars. The matching portion can be private
grants and donations or in-kind donations such as
the volunteer work that you do for this project.

For this upcoming field season we provided a form
for each person to track their volunteer time to
help us meet our match. You received this in your
participant packet in April.  PLEASE send in this
form with your data so we can meet our match.

In order to make the best use of the State
Wildlife Grants program, Congress charged each
state and territory with developing a statewide
Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy
(CWCS). These strategies will provide an
essential foundation for the future of wildlife
conservation and a stimulus to engage the states,
federal agencies and other conservation partners
to strategically think about their individual and
coordinated roles in prioritizing conservation
efforts in each state and territory.

VBS has contributed key butterfly information to
this plan to help determine which species are of
concern. The plan is finished and can be read at
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/swg_cwcs_report.cfm
4. VERMONT"S FIRST COMMON CHECKERED-SKIPPER FOUND
Reported by Kevin “sweet nectar” Hemeon, Vermont Butterfly Survey volunteer

With news of Common Checkered-Skipper flying in
good numbers in New York, only about 50 miles
from the Vermont border, I grabbed the net and
headed for a favorite butterflying spot in Pownal on August 25.

After 6 p.m., and after coming up empty for the
day, I had given up hope. The only skippers I'd
seen were Pecks Skipper, Least Skipper, and maybe
a Tawny-edged Skipper. There would be no
Checkered-Skipper today. Or would there?

Before getting into the truck for the drive home,
I took one more look back over the field.
Something different was flying. It looked almost
gray in the distance and flew like an Duskywing
species. I got close enough to see it was indeed a Common Checkered.

Then it flew... and flew... and flew. I chased it
around the field four or five times, losing it in
the poor light and growing shadows. I lost it one
more time and couldn't relocate it.  Muttering to
myself, Theyll never believe this, I headed for
the truck, dejected. Then it flew once more. It
fluttered about briefly and landed on a red
clover. Trying desperately to keep my shadow from
passing over this tiny butterfly, I got close
enough for a swing. And before the sun would
sent, I landed Vermont's first Common Checkered-Skipper.
5. WEB PAGE PICK - VERMONT ENTOMOLOGICAL SOCIETY
The Vermont Entomological Society is hub of
insect activity in the Green Mountain State.
Founded 1993, VES is open to anyone interested in
insects (and other invertebrates). Members range
from casual insect watchers to amateur and
professional entomologists. They welcome members
of all ages, abilities and interests.
VES is dedicated to the study, conservation, and
appreciation of invertebrates. They sponsor
selected research, workshops and field trips for
the public, including children. VES publishes a
quarterly newsletter that features insect events
and field trips, as well as general contributions
from members or other entomologists.

<http://www.vermontinsects.org/>http://www.vermontinsects.org/
                 main page
<http://www.vermontinsects.org/images/Fall2005.pdf>http://www.vermontinsects.org/images/Fall2005.pdf