CHRYSALIS
The Occasional Newsletter of the Vermont Butterfly Survey
September 2005
Vol. 4 No. 2

Here's another issue of CHRYSALIS, an irregular e-mail newsletter about the Vermont Butterfly Survey. You're getting this because you have signed on as a VBS volunteer. If you'd rather not receive this newsletter, please reply to this e-mail and asked to be removed from the mailing list. Thanks for joining the survey.

Kent McFarland

Contents:

1. Data Delivery
2. Have You Left VBS?
3. Tracking VBS Volunteer Time Helps with Funding
4. Vermont’s First Common Checkered-skipper Found
5. Web Page Pick – Vermont Entomological Society

1. DATA DELIVERY TIME !
It is that time of year to box your data and mail it into the VBS office.  The sooner we get it, the sooner it is in the database. And this year it is more critical than ever that we get it all in the database quickly so we can assess our block coverage and create a game plan for the last field season in 2006. Thanks to all of you for your hard work!

2. HAVE YOU LEFT VBS?
If you don’t think you’ll be able to do any more survey work, PLEASE take a few minutes to gather and return any of your unused voucher cards and glassine envelopes. We need them back. You can mail them to:

Kent McFarland
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091

Thanks.

3. TRACKING YOUR VBS VOLUNTEER TIME HELPS FUNDING!
The State Wildlife Grants (SWG) program provides federal dollars to every state to support conservation aimed at preventing fish and wildlife populations from declining and avoiding potential listing under state or federal Endangered Species Acts. Congress created the program in 2001. Funds appropriated under the State Wildlife Grants program are allocated to the states according to a formula that takes into account each state's size and population. The Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department is responsible for the administration of SWG funds in Vermont.

A major portion of VBS funding is through a State Wildlife Grant. This is federal funding annually appropriated to each state for non-game wildlife research and conservation. This grant is a 3:1 matching grant. In other words, we have to provide one dollar for every three federal dollars. The matching portion can be private grants and donations or in-kind donations such as the volunteer work that you do for this project.

For this upcoming field season we provided a form for each person to track their volunteer time to help us meet our match. You received this in your participant packet in April.  PLEASE send in this form with your data so we can meet our match.

In order to make the best use of the State Wildlife Grants program, Congress charged each state and territory with developing a statewide Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy (CWCS). These strategies will provide an essential foundation for the future of wildlife conservation and a stimulus to engage the states, federal agencies and other conservation partners to strategically think about their individual and coordinated roles in prioritizing conservation efforts in each state and territory.

VBS has contributed key butterfly information to this plan to help determine which species are of concern. The plan is finished and can be read at http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/swg_cwcs_report.cfm
4. VERMONT"S FIRST COMMON CHECKERED-SKIPPER FOUND
Reported by Kevin “sweet nectar” Hemeon, Vermont Butterfly Survey volunteer

With news of Common Checkered-Skipper flying in good numbers in New York, only about 50 miles from the Vermont border, I grabbed the net and headed for a favorite butterflying spot in Pownal on August 25.

After 6 p.m., and after coming up empty for the day, I had given up hope. The only skippers I'd seen were Pecks Skipper, Least Skipper, and maybe a Tawny-edged Skipper. There would be no Checkered-Skipper today. Or would there?

Before getting into the truck for the drive home, I took one more look back over the field. Something different was flying. It looked almost gray in the distance and flew like an Duskywing species. I got close enough to see it was indeed a Common Checkered.

Then it flew... and flew... and flew. I chased it around the field four or five times, losing it in the poor light and growing shadows. I lost it one more time and couldn't relocate it.  Muttering to myself, Theyll never believe this, I headed for the truck, dejected. Then it flew once more. It fluttered about briefly and landed on a red clover. Trying desperately to keep my shadow from passing over this tiny butterfly, I got close enough for a swing. And before the sun would sent, I landed Vermont's first Common Checkered-Skipper.
5. WEB PAGE PICK - VERMONT ENTOMOLOGICAL SOCIETY
The Vermont Entomological Society is hub of insect activity in the Green Mountain State. Founded 1993, VES is open to anyone interested in insects (and other invertebrates). Members range from casual insect watchers to amateur and professional entomologists. They welcome members of all ages, abilities and interests.
VES is dedicated to the study, conservation, and appreciation of invertebrates. They sponsor selected research, workshops and field trips for the public, including children. VES publishes a quarterly newsletter that features insect events and field trips, as well as general contributions from members or other entomologists.

http://www.vermontinsects.org/
                main page
http://www.vermontinsects.org/images/Fall2005.pdf
                a great newsletter for members!