Karen - I am no longer in a hospital setting but in the past, we routinely
scanned virtually every vascular case intra-operatively. Interestingly, the
most difficult decision usually arose because of the exquisite detail
obtained. Flaps and residual lesions that would not have been picked up by
angiography often elicited comments like, gee wonder if that needs to be
fixed.

In one series we did with a total of 657 cases,
406 Carotid Endarterectomies
190 Infrainguinal Bypass Grafts
23 Suprainguinal Grafts
9 Renal Bypass Grafts
19 Dialysis Access Grafts/Fistulae
5 Mesenteric Bypass Grafts
3 Carotid - Subclavian
2 Ax-fem-fem Crossover Grafts

As a result of the scans, there were a total of 121 revisions in
104 (16%) patients. Of those 121, 88 (72%) Improved, 27(22%) No change OR
creation of another equally significant defect
and 6 (5%) were made worse

But we found that is was a very useful procedure. There was a bit of
discussion recently as to the logistics. Once you get it down with the
surgeon and the OR staff, it is not a big deal.

Bill Schroedter
Venice, Fl