Lisa,

I haven't thought to tell anyone that specifically!!! I will do so from now
on. I just had one the other day, maybe I should call him?!!!

  _____

From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Mekenas
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 11:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CALF VEIN THROMBUS

On another but related note.

 This week we had 2 patients have PE from calf vein thrombus. However if
someone-their GP or the reading Radiologist or-had mentioned to the patient
not to massage their leg-they could have gone on with the aspirin or lovenox
treatment and been fine.

Both of these patients said they had their spouses give them a "deep
massage" of the calf and then had the SOB.

The first thing I say to anyone who I see thrombus  in -"no massages" - that
goes for sclero patients as well. Sounds simple -not really "medical advice"
but common sense.

One of the patients was seen in a Op Rad unit where the tech took "a long
time" on the leg-and told her "she was an expert at calf veins"-The report
read to be "superficial calf vein thrombus, could be in the soleal or
gastroc vein"

(Gastrocs have arteries Soleal veins don't-Look to the Peroneal vein if you
have a soleal vein thrombus-gastrocs look to trunk vessels or pop for
propagation.) (Unfortunately 2nd pt may have Prostate CA)

Calf vein thrombus significant source of PE? Our experience: not unless the
patient gets a massage.