From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of K. Beach
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 8:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gene Hokanson

Dear Vascular Colleagues,

Gene Hokanson's wife Sigrid called me today to tell me that Gene died
this
weekend in an aircraft accident in Everett Washington.

You all know Gene and Sigrid through their vascular diagnosis equipment
business, ( http://www.deh-inc.com/ ) providing Doppler and
plethysmographic systems and custom made cuffs.

Gene became a pioneering engineer in the field of noninvasive
diagnosis after joining Gene Strandness at the VA Hospital in Seattle
more
than 35 years ago.  He created innovative diagnostic systems that were
in
such demand that he started the business in his basement to provide the
instruments required by this quickly growing field.

I especially valued my friendship with Gene because he was always
willing
to help with odd instruments that I wanted for projects.  Gene
recently supplied plethysmographs for monitoring finger sympathetic
response in couples during conversations about spending habits.

I visited Gene at their home early this summer on a rare sunny morning
in
Seattle.  In addition to the wisdom that he shared, he told me about his

love of flying.

Gene and Sigrid have two children, Kyra who is director of marketing
at Hokanson Vascular and Arvid who produces radio shows at Seattle's
KUOW
public radio station.

Services have not yet been announced.

Kirk