From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Sikkenga
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ABI questions from curious student

Hello, I am a vascular ultrasound student. Our class is having a discussion about ABIs and segmental waveforms/pressures. We understand that many labs start with just ABIs and stop if they are normal. If they are abnormal, they will continue on to complete segmental waveforms and pressures.

I am wondering what the consensus is among professionals, about these questions: Is there an advantage, for the patient (or the lab,) to perform the segmental pressures if the ABIs are normal? Or, what is the rationale/justification for only using ABIs when they are normal? Are normal ABIs going to be definitive in every instance?

Thank you for your consideration,

Laura Sikkenga
Jackson Community College
--
CoreComm Webmail.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email, including any attachments, is private, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.  Pacific Vascular, Inc.