Lisa,

I haven’t thought to tell anyone that specifically!!! I will do so from now on. I just had one the other day, maybe I should call him?!!!

From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Mekenas
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 11:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CALF VEIN THROMBUS

On another but related note.

 This week we had 2 patients have PE from calf vein thrombus. However if someone—their GP or the reading Radiologist or—had mentioned to the patient not to massage their leg—they could have gone on with the aspirin or lovenox treatment and been fine.

Both of these patients said they had their spouses give them a “deep massage” of the calf and then had the SOB.

The first thing I say to anyone who I see thrombus  in –“no massages” – that goes for sclero patients as well. Sounds simple –not really “medical advice” but common sense.

One of the patients was seen in a Op Rad unit where the tech took “a long time” on the leg—and told her “she was an expert at calf veins”—The report read to be “superficial calf vein thrombus, could be in the soleal or gastroc vein”

(Gastrocs have arteries Soleal veins don’t—Look to the Peroneal vein if you have a soleal vein thrombus—gastrocs look to trunk vessels or pop for propagation.) (Unfortunately 2nd pt may have Prostate CA)

Calf vein thrombus significant source of PE? Our experience: not unless the patient gets a massage.