This is a great idea, in theory.  In practice, however, the problem is
that we (librarians, that is) have not done a very good job of building
a body of research literature from which good systematic reviews can be
drawn.  The best systematic review that I published as editor of the
JMLA was the Wagner/Byrd review of clinical librarianship mentioned in
Karen Crowell's post last Thursday on this topic.  At the same time that
Wagner & Byrd were working on their review, a team in the UK was doing a
similar review, which was published in Health Information and Libraries
Journal (Winning MA, Beverley CA.  Clinical librarianship: a systematic
review of the literature. HILJ 2003 Jun;20 Suppl 1:10-21).  While both
reviews were very thorough and very well-done, they both concluded that
not enough rigorous studies had been published from which to draw any
convincing conclusions about the impact of clinical librarian programs.

Until we do a better job of undertaking the initial studies on the sorts
of questions that Jenny posits, attempting systematic reviews is not
going to help us much.  I touch on this problem in my April JMLA
editorial ("Building A Body Of Evidence" J Med Libr Assoc. 2005
Apr;93(2):193-5.
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=158
58620)

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak

Editor, Journal of the Medical Library Association

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham