-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George Bakos
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Duct tape & blister care/prevention

Duct tape....Obviously NOT a flatlander ;)

Duct tape is the all-purpose toolkit, first-aid kit, preventative
maintenance kit, you name it. Chelsea once sprained her ankle hiking
out of Tucks and we stopped at HoJos & wrapped the heck out of
it on top of her sock. The duct tape provided enough lateral support
for her to get off the hill under her own power.

Painting several coats of benzoin tincture on the sensitive area
works great, too, and isn't affected by moisture. An old Ranger trick.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:43:16 -0400
Dylan Gamache <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I use both, but about the only time I'll use the alpine boots is when I
know
> I'm going to skin only once for an hour or so or less. An example would be
> skinning into side country or skinning out of side country. Anything else
> I'd use AT boots since they are lighter, more flexible and for me, more
> comfortable on longer skins.
>
> As far as blisters, duck tape, duct tape, duct tape. Where ever you think
> you might or do get blisters put duct tape on that area when your feet are
> dry and warm. Then place your socks over them. As long as your feet don't
> sweat a ton (see thread on preventing sweaty feat) the tape will stay in
> place and prevent blisters. I use it all the time for ski boots, soccer
> shoes and regular shoes since I have a scar on my heal that will blister
if
> I don't.
>
> And I think it was said before, go give it a try and see how they feel.
>
> Dylan

pub  1024D/081ECB85 1999-04-09
George Bakos <[log in to unmask]>
Key fingerprint = D646 8F91 F795 27EC FF8B  8C95 B102 9EB2 081E CB85