Day 01, 2005-2006 season
Back yard, el. 1500’, North Central Vermont
20’ + climbed. 100’- 200’ vertical snowboarded
October 23, 2005

Got back late last night from a 20 hour blitz down to Boston and back. The
driving conditions on the way  back home were dreadful; Hard driving rain
and a dark road and high speeds. But I noticed a curious density to the
rain. I wondered if it could be….no. Can’t be. I kept driving.
Exhausted I went to bed listening to the sound of rain on the roof.
Early this morning the 4 y.o. is by the side of the bed: “Winter!” she says.
Huh?
Looking out the window, winter indeed. 3” of fresh weighs down the still
leaf bearing trees. White flakes fall majestically to the ground. The season
has begun.
Not long later the 6 and a half y.o. and I have made many laps in the
backyard with the sleds, snowboards and the snowdeck. A snowman complete
with tree branch arms is made. A huge 6” jump has been made and sampled with
the sled, snowboard and snowdeck. Snowball fights, check. Wet snowpants,
check. Fireside snow laden gloves drying? Check.
Bring on Wilma!