Consumer Reports ranks snow tires in the following order:
Michelin X-Ice
Viking SnowTech
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
Mastercraft Glacier Grip II
Gislaved Nordfrost 3
Nokian Hakkapelitta 2
Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2
Kelly Wintermark Magna Grip HT
Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI
Hankook W404
Dayton Winterforce

The Hakka Q's I've been running on my VW for 4 years are discontinued and
Nokian no longer has a Q-rated friction tire unless you run the Hakka 2
without studs.  I've been pricing the Michelin X-Ice.  In my wimpy 195/65R15
size for my VW, they're $80 at Tire Rack with about $10/tire shipping.  For
yucks, I poked my nose into the local BJ's Wholesale in tax-free New
Hampshire.  $97 per tire mounted, balanced, new valve stems, dispose of my
old tires, lifetime free tire rotation.  This is unconfirmed but they claim
they'll have a $5-off coupon for Michelins starting November 5th.  This tire
replaced the Arctic Alpin last year.  Has anyone on the plaid list run the
X-Ice?

Geoff