The early morning call to run up to Stowe was a good one, as Scott noted in
the pic:
>>Jim, Stan and I went back for more this morning.  Looking at the view from
>>100 we couldn't believe our eyes.
>>http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=image_upload/Vermont/stowe_from_100.jpg

Revenge is sweet. You see, I spend the summer and fall months when there is
no skiing on my mountain bike. Many of my ski buddies are also my riding
buddies, and among this crew there is no mercy...we hammer out the riding
or ski hiking at the fastest pace of the fastest biker/ski hiker. But in
the warm months I am not a hero. I am "Drag Bag," "Last Place Sally," "B
Team" or "Let's wait, he will miss the turn."

So it is understandable that by saturday morning, well rested and fueled, I
was ready to get some revenge on my tormentors (Scott and particularly
Stan).

The snow had firmed, there was a good skin track, and even some bait out in
front, in the form of John Wulf, hard-charger and at least ten years youger
than me. Wulf had set out ahead with tele skier extra-ordinare Matt
Mancini, some guys from Backcountry Mag, and the dude that owns Irie Cycles
in stowe, Hardy Avery. All of the ones I had heard of are top level
bikers/skiers...Wulf had said hello, but then excused himself to go ahead
witht he "A" team...assuming I suppose, that I would be dragging like I was
on a bike ride. This condescending attitude is what I am supposed to have,
not this punk, I thought to myself...

Eventually we set out, but the "A" team had a good 15 minute lead. At first
I didn't really try to catch them, but as we gomered up Nosedive, and Stan
and Scott fell behind, I could see them in the distance. Young, famous,
rich, maybe, better skiers, yes, but better skinners? "NO!" I shouted to my
I-Pod...

I put the boots to the skin track, trying to move a pace or two harder than
I felt I could sustain. On the less steep pitches, I motored at max, the
sweat dripping. I didn't let up. I wanted to catch them more than I wanted
fresh tracks. It began to work...I began slowly reel them in. I noticed
that one guy was straggling a bit...blood in the water...I felt my heart
trying to pop out of my chest, but I kept hammering, hammering after them,
those self-assured ski hereoes...

I did catch the one dude, a snowboarder, exhaustedly dragging his board on
that first steep pitch on Nosedive. But as I passed him, I noticed he was a
gomer, not a hero. Maybe he wasn't with the "A" team? Maybe I didn't catch
them? Maybe I am really just a "B" team skier and a "B" team skinner? Maybe
I am worthless? Maybe I should stay home and rake the yard? These thoughts
raced through my mind as I completed the final pitch to the top.

There they were, the "A" team. I had caught them, but not passed
them...they had made it to the top a moment or two before I did. I skied
up, sweat dripping from my shaved head, a wild look in my exhausted eyes.
But to my amazement, Wulf and the others proclaimed my worth. They were
amazed that I had caught up with them, me, an old guy of 42, had caught the
cream of Stowe skier society. Me, a has been washed up nordic skier from
colchester VT had caught up to the guys who win tele races and make our ski
mags, take our ski porn pictures and generally rule the roost. Maybe I
still have it....maybe.

Scott said it:
>>http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?
Page=image_upload/Vermont/jim_on_upper_nosedive.jpg