Geoff Devine wrote:

>I have to disagree on the studded snow tire point.
>
>One of my cars is a 5,000+ pound AWD Mercury Mountaineer.  I run studded
>Nokian Hakka SUVs on it.  Why?  To optimize for the black ice it sees
>frequently

I don't think we're in disagreement on this. I did say that studs are
wonderful on ice. If your goal is to optimize for ice driving, go for
it. However, don't think that there are no tradeoffs involved,
particularly on dry pavement.

Regarding AWD, I also noted that if you're dealing with steep hills
routinely (and by steep I don't mean any highway with a number), AWD/4WD
is great.

Dave G.