Marc C. asked:

>An inversion crust perhaps? Didn't someone mention there was a
>temperature inversion at some point?

Good question. But this was on Saturday, before the inversion of Sunday. I know
that an inversion did not predate Saturday because the temps on the Rockpile
were very cold before then. Plus, there was no evidence of any new snow in the
trees coming close to the freezing point. It was middle-of-winter-like up
there.

Sunday's inversion was interesting because temps on the Rockpile were similar to
those 3000 feet lower in central Vermont, but then 2000 feet below that in
central Vermont it was 30 degrees warmer. I've never seen such temperature
differences in Vermont. Probably was related to the fact that higher elevations
were snow-covered and the air was dry and clear.

Jim