On 10/31/05, David Guertin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> John Crowley, Jr. wrote:
>
> >2) Should I ever move back to Vermont - how far enough north in the
> >state will I have to be to get CBC television pictures over the air?
> >

> I don't know. I've also wondered how far south the signal reaches. FWIW,
> Middlebury is too far south. The cable company carries CBC in English
> and French (which, BTW, showed entirely different events during the last
> Olympics), but there's nothing over the air here.
>
> BTW, during the last Olympics I had the opportunity to watch CBC for
> extended periods (we don't get it at home). After a while, the CBC
> became almost as annoying as NBC, or whichever US network it was that
> was carrying the Olympics. Some of the announcers were equally or more
> idiotic, and they tended to focus lots of attention on whichever
> Canadian athlete was currently in 43rd place in whatever event was being
> shown. It's to be expected, of course, but it's still annoying. Even so,
> it was still better than what we get in the US.

All this discussion of CBC coverage going downhill (no pun intended) is sad.

I moved back to VT from CA in '96, moving to Burlington to begin grad
school that summer.  It was pure joy to see CBC coverage of Atlanta
Summer Games and Nagano Winter Games, rather than US coverage.

As a child hockey player, I recall getting a very "snowy" picture (npi
- again) of a now legendary Bruins-Canadians Stanley Cup playoff
series in the late 70's.  This from just a couple miles south of US
Route 4.