Day 03, 2005-2006
Gondolier / Perry Merrill- Stowe
October 29, 2005

Got to the old gondola parking lot at 8 a.m. and found a handful of faithful
shuffling around gearing up. The sun was just coming up and for the first
time in about two weeks it looked like the sky might clear enough for a
sunny day.
Snow plastered Mt. Mansfield. It was kind of weird. I have literally seen
less snow on the mountain on New Years Eve- two months from now. There was a
6Ē base here in the parking lot. Which may not sound like much to you but
last week I was mowing my lawn. Crunching around on the snow covered asphalt
it seemed as if Summer had given way to Fall which had been creamed by
Winter with a sucker punch when it wasnít looking. Well, be that as it may,
Gondolier beckoned and I couldnít resist.
Cruised up the good olí Gondy on a snowmobile track- snowshoes coming in
handy. Again I was blown away by the amount of snow. It had settled from the
absurd depths of mid week into a dense super carvy creamy perfection. I know
itíll be gone by next week but itís still pretty darn cool.
At the bottom of the waterfall I chose to go left up Perry Merrill and a
good thing I did too as the snowmobile tracks were the only tracks on the
thing. Wide open untracked whiteness greeted me. Got to the Cliff House and
bathed in the sun and views.
I chose to call it right there. Best to indulge in the untracked semi-powder
before the rest of the sweaty grunting masses reached it before me.
Bogarting untracked in October. What has become of the world?
So another swig of water and then down Perry Merrill to Gondolier. Super fun
turns the whole way. Deep snow made the usual early season worries of rocks
and dirt seem laughable. It was, I tell you, weird.