Here's a report from Tunia on the laptop ...

-------- Andy Carvin, EDC Center for Media & Community --------

Hi everyone,

This morning I got to spend some time playing around with the first
prototype of Nicholas Negroponte's $100 laptop initiative. Negroponte
unveiled it last night with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

I've tossed together an eight-minute video previewing the laptop,
including an interview with the chief technology officer of the
project. She talks about some of the engineering challenges they
face, including lowering the cost of the display and developing a
hand-crank powerful enough to recharge its batteries. She also
dispelled the rumor that the laptop will have a solar panel, as had
been previously reported.

To see the video, please visit here:

http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2005/11/the_100_laptop.html

thanks,