We use the same method using Surf Control and our WatchGuard firewall. I just tell the students that they will get a little content along with pictures.

Doug Reaves
Bellows Free Academy
Fairfax, Vermont

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/30/05 11:52 AM >>>
Steve & Others -

Our 8th graders found the "Google Image" loophole in our content filter two
years ago. We use iPrism, which allows us to restrict sites by content
category, and to create different profiles for different machines and users.

Our solution: We blocked the "Web Search" category, then opened up a handful
of "approved" search engines (Local Allow), including Google Web but not
Google Images. This also helped us limit some of the less reliable search
engines that some students were beginning to use.

The drawbacks: Sites like DogPile and other "metasearch engines" are only
accessible to our librarians, who operate under a different filtering
profile.

In order to find images, our students must use a web search engine and
include "image" or "picture" as a keyword. They will get a list of sites
that have images related to their topic, and if the site is not appropriate,
it gets blocked.

This process adds an extra step to finding images, but it does not seem to
be much of a hindrance once they learn what they need to do: images are
still accessible, you just can't grab them quickly from the Google Image
thumbnails.

Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator
Waterbury/Duxbury Schools