I find it amusing that as I was just sifting through email I found a request
from a user about how to do something basic with their software.... By the
time I got to the message, the user had actually found the MANUAL for the
software and answered their own question! Imagine that. Along similar lines
I often field software questions that I am able to answer quickly myself
using Help menus. A training issue, I guess.

This makes me think: I guess my "How To" folders should include PDF
documentation where applicable. How about "How To Use Help"? "Help Using
Help?"

I find that many folks are prone to emailing and calling HelpDesk for quick
questions rather than trying to solve the problem/answer the question
themselves. OK, it's easier for someone to just give you the answer when
you're in a hurry. It is interesting that the more available a tech support
person is, the less people tend to help themselves!

Is the opposite true as well? Does this mean that the schools with less
support are developing users with better problem-solving skills? More
risk-taking behavior because there are few alternatives? Are staff and
students in schools with more accessible support getting lazy?

Interesting...