Bill,

Do you use a full T1 between buildings? We have been given a proposal of a 1.5 Mb frame split between three buildings. I nervous that this is not enough bandwidth.

Doug

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/29/05 1:48 PM >>>
Doug -

In LSSU we have had a WAN set-up for two years now on T! lines and we
use remote desktop (microsoft) to use applications (speddoc, Student
management systems, other databases (both filemaker and access), limited
printing, and limited file access,  remotely from different sites.  It
has been working very well for us.

Bill

Bill Kimball
Information Technology Director
-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug Reaves
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: WAN considerations

We are investigating the implementation of a WAN that would link the
supervisory union and its school districts together. In its initial
phase, the plan is to centralize administrative servers and software and
to create a means by which the supervisory union and the schools within
to share curricula, standards, and student data (for the su only). The
shared applications would be accounting (NEMRC), special ed (SpEdDoc),
and maybe student administrative software.

I have very little experience using applications over a WAN, so it is
hard for me to know what this experience would be like for the user. Our
users are accustomed to accessing applications and data from the LAN
where response time is quick. It may be hard for them to see the long
term benefits of consolidation, if they see a degradation in the speed
of their programs.  Bandwidth must be an important consideration in
addressing this issue. Can anyone recommend minimums in bandwidth based
on approximately 40 concurrent users? Are there other stumbling blocks
that those of you with WANs have had to address?

Thanks,

Doug Reaves
Bellows Free Academy
Fairfax, Vermont