Hi, Colleagues,

If you want to limit your MEDLINE search results to
clinical trial, do you use "clinical trials" (MeSH
term) or "clinical trial"(Publication Type)?  How
about "randomized controlled trials" (MH) and
"randomized controlled trial" (PT)? I found out that
if I perform a key word search by typing in "clinical
trial" or "randomized controlled trial" in the search
box, PubMed will map either term to its MeSH term and
Publication Type. If I only search "clinical trials"
as a MeSH term, Iíll miss articles indexed under the
publication type. It is the same with randomized
controlled trial.

How do I advise patrons if they want to limit their
search results to clinical trials or randomized
controlled trials? Should they search the term by
MeSH, key word, or applying the limit Publication
Type?

Thanks.

Misa

Misa Mi