Hi Terry,

If you're trying to find a Barrow's Goldeneye, I would start with picking
out a male and then check for females.  I find guilt by association is the
best clue.  For males, I find back coloration is the best field mark to
pick them out of a flock.  Barrow's are much darker on the back, but beware
of preening males.  They will roll onto their side so that the dark stripe
on the center of their back nearly reaches the water line.  For females, I
search for all yellow bills.  Ted goes with head shape which is flatter on
top and puffier in the back.  You might try the Grand Isle side of the
railroad causeway early in the morning before birds get disturbed and
pushed out from shore.

Good luck,
Allan