On January 9, I was leaving the nature center for the night.  As I opened
the door, a tiny owl swooped by my head and landed on a hand railing a mere
three feet from me.  I froze and stood staring at it for a few seconds as it
nervously looked around and made a soft peeping noise.  I came out of my
shock long enough to get a few field marks before it flew away so that I
could later identify it as a Northern Saw-whet owl.  The whole encounter
lasted probably no more than 30 seconds, but it was a wonderful way to end
the work day!

Matthew C. Brantner

AmeriCorps Member

Vermont Institute of Natural Science