Yesterday, in Dummerston, I looked out my window and saw that there were
about 25 redpolls on the ground below my feeders. I grabbed my bins to
look for hoaries and had no sooner got the redpolls in the field of view
when BLAM! - a juvenile northern shrike landed among them, putting all
to panicked flight. The shrike hung around for a few minutes glaring at
the departed redpolls then flew off. I did not know whether to feel
bummed that I had missed the chance of a hoary, or glad because I had
just seen a new yard bird (the shrike).

Hector Galbraith PhD
Galbraith Environmental Sciences LLC
837 Camp Arden Rd., Dummerston, VT05301