Early in January, someone suggested high bush cranberry (Viburnum
trilobum)as a shrub that attracts birds. I would suggest against
planting this and any other viburnums. I planted one of these shrubs a
two years ago and it was immediately attacked by virburnum leaf beetles.
I took the appropriate countermeasures of removing the larvae and, in
fall, snipping off the branches where the female adults laid eggs. The
bush was smaller after the snipping than when I first planted it. Last
spring the beetles completely skeletonized the shrub again. Finally I
gave up and dug the shrub out and put it on my brush pile.

This is a new pest but a very difficult one. Information about this pest
can be found at http://www.hort.cornell.edu/vlb/id.html

Michele Patenaude
172 Woodbury Road
Burlington, Vermont  05401