Allen, Ted,

Thanks for a great post.  If you don't mind, do you have any tips for  an
amateur.  I'm thinking, in particular, how to pick out a female Barrows  from a
flock of 2000 other Goldeneyes!   Seems a daunting  task.   Do you have a
method or ascribe this to luck, or something  else?   Despite many visits I've yet
to pick out that white-fronted  goose in SB and hope to improve my (where's
Waldo) technique!

As for sightings, I also visited Shelburne Bay today (approximately 3-4  pm).
  Sighted the following:

Mallards (100+)
Common Goldeneye  (~10)
Am. Black Ducks  (5)
Ring-billed Gulls (40+)
Bald Eagle (1)
Canada Geese (75)

The eagle was particularly majestic, swooping down to pick up (?) from the
ice and water several times, circle over the rocky outcropping at the fishing
access several times and generally putting on a spectacular show.

About 4 pm, flock after flock of Canadas came down the bay and passed
overhead, many hundreds, none stopping in the bay.   They seemed to be  headed
southeast, at low altitude.    Headed to Shelburne Pond,  perhaps?

Terry

In a message dated 1/22/2006 9:05:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,