A Great Blue Heron flew by this afternoon, heading north.
The redpolls which arrived on January 3rd continue to show up at my Nyjer
feeders.  They seem to more or less take turns with the goldfinches.  The
flock, which departs and returns throughout the day, numbers over 20.
While I frequently see flocks of goldfinches circling overhead and then
landing on nearby trees, before flying to the feeders, Pine Siskins and
redpolls likewise; I never see chickadees arriving this way, though
occasionally concentrations increase to the point that several at a time are
flying to the feeder and back to cover in a continuing barrage.  Chickadees
seem to arrive flying in low, their numbers increasingly imperceptibly.

Eric Lazarus
Burlington