From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mundi
Smithers
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 2:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Turkeys

Down here in Pownal we seem to have a plethora of turkeys and they are
quite brazen.  This morning I counted 30+ in the pasture next to the
house.  We also have Red-bellied Woodpeckers at the feeder and the suet
.... this is a first for me !!  What I am missing this year are Hairy
Woodpeckers?   Seems odd that they are not in evidence.  Another
observation that I have made since we moved to Pownal a couple of years
ago.... I never hear owls.  I have seen a couple of Barred owls perched
in trees beside the dirt road that runs behind our farm but I haven't
hear them call.  When I do a late night barn check I often stop for a
few minutes just to see if I might hear one calling.  Nothing so far.
A flock of Redpolls arrived last week and they are making quite a dent
in the sunflower seeds.

All the news for now,
Mundi  in Pownal