In case anyone is interested. This isn't Vt and a serious road trip would be needed but, it is a good one. Kevin
   People have been flocking to Yates for the last few days. A normally
quiet area on Route 63 near Route 18 has been lined with cars and birders
hoping to catch glimpses of a rare Northern Hawk Owl. On Tuesday the owl
perched on telephone wires and in trees as it gave a rotating group of
spectators a chance for photographs and scenes through high-powered
binoculars. Lewie Dubois, who lives on North Lyndonville Road, said he
spotted the owl about a month ago when he was taking his grandchild out to
meet the school bus. "He'd cock his head when you talked to him," he
said. "He's been up and down the whole road. We didn't think anything of
it." But since Saturday word had spread of the rare sighting, bringing
hordes of birders from around Western New York and even out of state to see
the visitor. "We're so lucky for this to be in our area," said Debi
Klees of Hamlin, who came with her husband Kevin to get a glimpse. Klees said the bird is reported
 to be about 16 inches in length. Like many of those who have traveled
to see the owl, she and her husband found out about it through the Internet.
Garner Light, a Gasport resident and member of the Buffalo Audobon
Society, said the owl is likely in the vicinity because of a disruption to
its food source, which consists of rodents like voles and mice. "That's the main reason," he said. "They don't typically feed on other
birds." The owl's territory usually ends in Northern Canada, while it
lives on the edge of arctic tundra or coniferous forest habitats. The fact
that the bird has situated itself on the same road for so long is
remarkable, Light said. He and his family spent about three hours watching
the bird on Sunday and saw close to 50 birders stop to see the owl. "I'm thrilled," he said. "I've been hoping to see it somewhere locally."
Contact Michael Regan at (585) 798-1400, Ext. 2226.