Today around noon while driving south on Rt 7 we saw a very odd looking
raptor.  It was large and _very_ white. At highway speeds I couldn't get
a good enough look and racked my head for anything this white and large.

Snowy maybe?  Up in a tree on the side of the road?
Gyr?  Possible, but I would first call it a really well fed snow bunting
before admitting to seeing a Gyr without an Audubon president in tow.

We stopped to take a better look.   From the back it was mostly white,
mottled with some brown.  Very bulky.   After a few moments it flew off
away from me.  I don't have a strong impression of the wings other than
more white, but that's because I locked in on the tail which was
primarily reddish.  From the shape, behavior, and limited field marks
I'm certainly an adult red tailed hawk.  I assume it was partially
albino, but without a better look I couldn't rule out a Krider's.

If you are in the area it's worth looking around.

I foolishly didn't write down the cross road but I'm pretty sure that it
was Cook Rd, in East Dorset.  (it's the only road that I see on the map
that is very short, dog-legs right and just north of Manchester)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cook+Rd,+East+Dorset,+VT
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cook+Rd,+East+Dorset,+VT&ll=43.242921,-73
.006468&spn=0.004848,0.012445&hl=en>
&ll=43.242921,-73.006468&spn=0.004848,0.012445&hl=en