A number of people asked me to summarize the responses to my job advice post. Here are some of the suggestions sent in:

  -volunteer at a medical library
  -join MLA and local associations
  -network
  -get a mentor from MLA
  -take a medical terminology course
  -take any classes you can at library school including health sciences librarianship and internships
  -take classes through http://nnlm.gov/mar/online/ and any classes offered at a local medical library
  -Go online and play around with PubMed, MedlinePlus, and other health websites
  -start reading the professional literature (Journal of the Medical Library Association is available free in PubMed Central)
  -shadow a medical librarian
  -get as much library experience (any kind) as possible as skills are transferable
  -apply to jobs even if the ads say they want experience
  -being flexible about relocating will help
  -mail your resume to places you would like to work at even though they don't have an opening
  -link to an excellent article for those interested in medical librarianship  http://www.liscareer.com/kane_medlibrarian.htm

Thanks again to everyone who responded!!

Yahoo! Photos