2-3" of fresh wet snow from last night...here in BTV the freezing level
was between 500-700 feet off the deck and that lines up with the snow
level witnessed on I-89 between BTV and Waterbury.  Snow level seemed to
be in the 700-1000ft level with accumulations of 2-3" at the 1,000ft
level.

Richmond is the new snowless capital of Vermont.  I haven't seen snow
there in a few weeks...even Burlington has had consistently more snow than
that stretch of I-89.  Anyway, Mad River Glen.  Ski it if you can.  I got
my ssa handed to me and I now know why MRG skiers are so good.  The snow
was good with another 3" of dense stuff on top of a marginal base.  I've
skied 7 of the last 15 days and life has been good.  The snow depth in the
mountains of central Vermont are just like everyone has been
saying...low.  I never fully understood this until now.  Personally, I
feel like one of the Marc's being spoiled with consistently deep, soft
snow.  Rock, ice, stumps, moss, more rock, were all evident today at MRG
more so than I've seen on Mansfield since November.  Now, before anyone
thinks I'm "bashing" MRG, I'm not.  I'm mearly extremely interested in New
England weather and snowfall.  I'm not a professional meteorologist, yet I
play one on the internet...just a college kid who has a math and science
orientated mind.

I would give a descriptive report except I don't know MRG at all and thus
don't know many trail names (if any).  It was more than worth the $4 I
gave the ticket counter only to recieve a ticket and change.  I skied 6
great runs before the double broke down and then it was a 20 minute wait
on the single.  Amazing how one chairlift down can change the liftline
from 0-5min (depending on what the traffic flows are) to easily 20
minutes.  Anyway, after skiing for 3 hours and getting 6 runs in with no
liftlines we called it quits and left around 1230.  The skiing was good,
don't get me wrong, but as a college kid who skis 4 times a week, I do
have stuff I need to accomplish...so if skiing for a few hours means
leaving at 1230 then so be it ;)

So back to the snowfall/depth...
Every time I post pictures of Mansfield I get 5 emails commenting about
how the snowdepth is so much lower in other parts of the state.  I assume
its lower in some spots but not the amount that I witnessed today.  6-12"
of natural snow depth on the lower mountain gave way to only 12-24" at the
summit.  Now, this is extremely compacted, crusted over snow but the
mountains surrounding the Mad River Valley have half of the snow that is
sitting on places like Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs and I haven't been to Jay but I
assume it similar.

This is at the bottom of Catamount Bowl:
http://tinyurl.com/8cdce

In several spots on the mountain, I dug to the ground to see the snow
depth.  I found a general 6-12" depth on an un-frozen ground below the mid-
station as seen in the photo above...I tried to find the least wind/skier
effected areas that I could.  This was the "new" snow at Stowe last
Thursday that was easily a foot or more deep:
http://tinyurl.com/ad58n

On the summit, in the trees on the way to Paradise the snow depth was 18-
24" and I believe saying its a 2 foot snowpack is being generous:
http://tinyurl.com/cxa6v

Another high elevation photo around Catamount Bowl shows deadfall being a
clear risk and while some spots might look nice, that tree isn't more than
20" off the ground and it isn't even close to being covered:
http://tinyurl.com/9uuf7

Here's another shot from near the top of the single with only 18" of snow
on top of everything.
http://tinyurl.com/agrrb

This is all in contrast to the 18" base snowpack and 48" upper elevation
natural snowpack (stake) that is sitting on Mansfield.

http://tinyurl.com/bxuku
http://tinyurl.com/am95d
http://tinyurl.com/aemrz

That last shot is next to RT108 through the Notch.  On Saturday afternoon,
even with near 50F temps the snow was well settled but still at a thick
18" pack down around the base.

I finally understand what everyone is saying when they can't believe the
amount of snow north of I89 vs. south of it.  Needless to say, MRG kicked
my ssa with rocks, moss, ice, snow, and more rocks.  My skis also took a
few shots to the base.  Fascinating stuff, though.

-Scott