Hi folks,

Friday night Gillian announced that she wanted to give up ski racing.
She's been getting less and less happy about running and training for
races, and had already decided that this was to be her last year anyway,
as she had little interest in continuing on into J2's next year. As a
result, today found us at MRG instead of on the slalom course at Okemo.
It's worth emphasizing that Gillian had a bigger smile on her face for
most of the day than she's had all season so far. Her dad and brothers
had a pretty good time too. I didn't shed many tears over missing a race
day at Okemo.

The snow was scratchy in lots of places, soft in a few, and the woods
were tricky at best. We sampled Quacky woods and found the cover to be
marginal and the untracked snow uncomfortably heavy, so mostly we stuck
to the trails. But the mountain was 100% open, and we pounded most of
the usual ways down off the single and double. The boys were getting air
off every bump they could. Our ski bases took some hits, but our
outlooks did not, and everyone finished the day with big smiles.

By the way, the boys are far from wanting to give up racing, and are
still up their eyeballs in it. Next Sunday we'll be out bright and early
on the slalom course at Quechee. Still, they didn't exactly complain
about giving up a training day for a day on the big mountain, and I have
a feeling that tonight they'll go to sleep with visions of Paradise
bouncing through their heads.

Dave G.