That's too bad racing had that effect on Jackie.  Just so junior ski
racing doesn't get a bad name, here's another anecdote:

I used to coach two brothers.  They are nationally ranked skiers (and
sailors).  When they were younger, instead of heading into the lodge
when the race was done and leaving after the awards, they were always
out on the slopes skiing.

Now they're in college skiing for one of the top-ranked ski programs.
A couple years ago, one of them wins the UVM Carnival SL; we go free
skiing after the race.  Later that year the same one is thirteenth at
US Nationals at Whiteface.  After the race, he, his brother, another
old coach and I head are free skiing.  Everyone else is at the awards
ceremony or on their way home.  His mom has to accept his medal for
2nd placed Junior--we're on the gondola heading up for one last run.

That being said, I'm glad Gillian is having fun, because, after
winning, that is the most important thing.

--Matt K.