On 1/31/06, Ben Peters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 1/30/06, John Crowley, Jr. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > All by age:
> >
> > J1 = 17-18 years
> > J2 = 15-16 years
> > J3 = 13-14 years
> > J4 = 11-12 years
> > J5 = 9-10 years
>
> This is the basic idea, but both the J5 and the J1 age groups are 3
> years long, meaning that there are 19 and sometimes even 20 year old
> J1s (winter birthday after Jan 1st). The cut-off date for all age
> groups is December 31st, therefore, within ski racing we usually refer
> to each other by our birth year, rather than our "j" group (although
> it does come into play for Eastern Champs and Nationals).
>
> After you get to a J2 level you start to be able to race pretty much
> everyone. At Eastern Cup Finals last year I was a J2 and raced against
> Ligety, Chip Knight, and I believe Cochran... for them it's obviously
> just a fun spring race, but still it's pretty cool to be on the same
> hill as them and see how far you really are out of the world cup.
>
> -ben

Ah... thanks.  That explains it.

Part of the reason I said earlier, "Though these things have changed
by one year at each level at least once since I was racing or
coaching," is because I have noticed in recent years that 19 year olds
have raced in the World Juniors (they didn't used to do that).

And why, with what must be an early '06 birthday and less than a year
after racing the WJ's - Resi Stiegler is now listed as "20" years of
age on the Olympic roster for the US women.

BTW - I think Mont. Ste. Anne and Le Massif host the '06 World
Juniors.  Sometime in late Feb or March, I would guess